Wednesday, September 5, 2012

BLOG #1

      Oral history is an important part of recording the past and a process that helps people communicate. By preserving oral history, one is able to understand and reflect on first hand personal experiences. One way that is made possible is through interviewing. Interviews give answers to questions in a more personal style and language. This makes the subject matter more appealing because it allows a reader to understand the interviewee and the information stated.
         As of right now, I am not sure what I want to focus on for my research topic. I was always very interested on how people were able to remember song lyrics so easily but other important facts were not  as easy to remember. For example, if I haven't heard a song in a long time but I once knew the words, whenever I heard it again, the words just came back to me. Unfortunately, if someone were to ask me for the chemical equation for photosynthesis or all of the state capitals, I would not be able to recall that. I think that the way words are formed and put together help people remember and recall things easier. Therefore, I would like to do some more research behind this idea and see if I want to continue with this thought.



2 comments:

  1. I strongly agree with your idea of song lyric memorization compared to memorizing math formulas/ equations, which is my complete weakness. I have so many songs memorized especially songs from many years ago, but when it comes to math I have no clue. I would definately like to know stronger ways to remember formulas, espeically for the praxis, that would be of great help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Sara, I love this idea. I think that it is so interesting. I have noticed that it is easier to remember things that are put to a song. I noticed it around 5th grade when my teacher was having us remember the periodic table and said that a song might make it easier to remembr. And I always wondered why that is? I still remember a song from 10th grade- the quadratic formula song. It's so catchy and it gets stuck in your head. While other formulas that aren't associated with song are harder to remember. I think if you do research on songs, lyrics and remembering that you would develop a great paper! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete