Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Blog #13

Last semester in Advanced Composition, I did learn some of the terms used in this book. I was able to recall the main definitions, such as Discourse, Toolkit, Identity and Intertextuality. After reading chapter 1, I learned some new terms that I wasn't aware of.

I like how Gee uses the term "real indian" as an example of acting, interacting, and thinking in ways that together with a language create "who(socially situated identity) we are and what(socially situated practice) we are doing." It also explains the idea of recognition and being recognized, which refers to the right time and place with right object and how it works together.

I understood most of the reading but the only thing I had a hard time understanding was the "who's and whats" after Gee explained the aspirin bottle as the "who's doing whats" together. I just don't understand the correlation. Is it because it is medicine (a name) that has a specific duty?

What I thought was interesting in the reading was the section on situated meanings and situated meaning tasks. After reading the excerpt about using the word "coffee," I understood the definition of frame problem and how any aspect of context can affect the meaning of an oral/written word and how a word can have a specific use.


No comments:

Post a Comment